A new child for the Walden Family

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Friday, May 04, 2007

The Parent Education meeting in April

I totally forgot to post about the parent ed meeting in April. I really enjoyed it. It consisted of a panel of adult adultees. One was from Vietnam, and the other four were from Korea. The leader, our social worker, asked some questions, and then we (the parents waiting to adopt) got to ask them some questions. Some of the adoptees parents were in the audience too. An interesting impression I got from some of them was that they felt 'white'. They grew up in white families, even if they had adopted non-white siblings. One said he was in a restaurant with his wife one time and said to her along the lines of "wow, there is not a single non-white person in here" and his wife told him, uh, what about you? Also all of them had white spouses. It was just interesting in that aspect. I got to ask a couple questions, but I wanted to ask a few more actually. Our meetings usually have around 80 people so I couldn't hog up all the question asking. But it was my favorite meeting so far and quite educational.

1 Comments:

  • Wow, we have 30hrs of required adoption education and I wish a panel were included in our course!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home